Increase production potential with reduced CH4 emissions.
Why is this project relevant?
- Leucaena decreases CH4 production
- Leucaena’s mimosine causes toxicity
- Discover bacteria that degrades mimosine (Synergistes jonesii)
- Efficacy of bacteria inoculation
Identify the presence of bacteria strains that degrade mimosine
- Decrease toxicity of Leucaena
- Leucaena causes a “protein bank” to the animal
Anticipated Results and Products
- Confirm the absence/existence of S. jonesii
- Possible detection of another bacteria with relevant economic impact for legume fed animals
- Improve cattle performance and reproduction
- Reduce CH4 emission with Leucaena